Click here to learn about the process used to unpack the standards and create learning targets.
Unpacking the Standard: W.K.3
Student Friendly Learning Target: W.K.3
Visual Representation of Learning Target: W.K.3
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD what's this
• Kindergarten students begin building a foundation of writing by learning to describe familiar events or experiences through drawing, dictating, and writing.
QUESTIONS TO FOCUS INSTRUCTION what's this
• In describing a series of events, students are learning that events occur in a sequence.
• In learning to narrate an event or series of events, students need to understand the concepts of beginning, middle, and end.
• Throughout the school year, kindergarten students need ample opportunities to express their thoughts in ways that are purposeful and meaningful.
• How does a kindergarten student begin to develop the skills needed to be an effective writer?
• What activities help students express their thoughts and experiences through drawing, dictating, and writing?
• How can drawing a picture improve a student’s narrative?
• What strategies can be used to help students develop the understanding that events have a “beginning, middle, and end”?
Go to W.1.3
to see the progression of related skills.