The writers of the CCSS collaborated with the Council of Chief State School Officers in hosting a one-hour webinar "The Common Core State Standards Supporting Districts and Teachers with Text Complexity
" to share tools and resources to support teachers and districts with understanding and addressing text complexity
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD what's this
- Background Knowledge
QUESTIONS TO FOCUS INSTRUCTION what's this
- Young children benefit from opportunities to read a rich array of fiction and informational books.
- Informational text can build and, also, build upon background knowledge.
- Expanding educational opportunities for young students by improving their ability to read and comprehend informational texts is an important goal for teachers,
- By using formal or informal instruction as well as small and large group configurations, teachers can choose books and texts for activities that support and challenge the instructional reading levels of children.
- Do students actively interact in group reading activities as they explore informational texts?
- What strategies encourage high levels of participation in group reading activities within the kindergarten classroom?
- Do students engage in group activities using a varied range of informational text?
Go to RI.1.10 to see the progression of related skills.