- Parts of speech
- Root words
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD what's this
- Alert students to difficult or potentially confusing language and vocabulary across different subjects. Pre-teach vocabulary when appropriate.
- Discuss or prepare semantic web organizers for synonyms, antonyms, and alternate meanings throughout any lesson.
- Use explanation or clarification regarding word meanings or meanings of phrases that may be new or difficult.
- Model information seeking behavior(s) regarding meanings and definitions. Demonstrate using contexts and external sources to gain understanding.
- Regularly discuss idioms and colloquialisms when they appear in text.
- Create enthusiasm across the curriculum for the usage of new or difficult vocabulary.
QUESTIONS TO FOCUS INSTRUCTION what's this
- What are the unique characteristics of the students’ language(s) present in my classroom?
- How can I regularly make linguistic connections for students learning English as a second language?
- What are the difficult-to-understand words or phrases in this lesson? What can I do to clarify or explain before or during instruction?
- How do I foster enthusiasm for words and personal expression?
Go to L.1.6
to see the progression of related skills.