INTEGRATION IDEAS what's this
- active listening
QUESTIONS TO FOCUS INSTRUCTION what's this
- Question generation and response supports classroom conversations and discussions as well as active listening—skills appropriate for all grades and content areas.
- Question answering and question generation skills promote students’ metacognitive skills which support deeper understanding of an issue or topic as well as deeper engagement with class discussion across content and grade levels.
- When students ask and answer questions they learn to focus on details and integrate background knowledge with new knowledge across content areas and grade levels.
- More advanced skills of analysis, making inferences and forming opinions are supported by the prerequisite skill of answering and asking questions.
- The skill of distinguishing relevant and irrelevant information in what is heard by asking and answering questions supports the ability to summarize, orally and in writing, in subjects such as science, social studies, and mathematics.
- When students acquire the ability to recognize that additional information or clarification is necessary to understand a speech or other oral presentation, they are better able to formulate questions in which they elaborate and/or provide details about they have heard.
- What skills must students acquire to be able to ask and answer questions about what is being said by a speaker?
- What strategies can teachers implement to promote active listening and attention to key ideas and details by students when they are listening to a speaker (whether that speaker is the teacher, a guest lecturer, or a TV or radio commentator)?
- What questioning techniques can teachers model (and teach students to use) so that students check their understanding as well as extend and deepen their knowledge and engagement about a specific topic or issue presented by a speaker?
- What classroom activities and teacher modeling support students being able to elaborate on what they have heard as well as provide details to support or clarify elaboration.
- What strategies can teachers use to ensure that students can ask higher level questions and can answer higher level questions with higher level thinking/responses?
Go to SL.2.3 to see skills mastered prior to this.