UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD what's this
- plural nouns
- irregular plural nouns
- abstract nouns
- irregular verbs
- verb tenses
- subject-verb agreement
- pronoun-antecedent agreement
- coordinating conjunction
- subordinating conjunction
- simple sentence
- compound sentence
- complex sentence
- types of sentences
• Third grade students will learn academic language and vocabulary across all content areas more easily by mastering the conventions of standard English grammar including those addressed in this standard.
QUESTIONS TO FOCUS INSTRUCTION what's this
• This standard specifically addresses seven parts of speech: noun, pronoun, verb, adverb, adjective, and conjunction.
• Students need a clear understanding of each of the parts of speech. This includes being able to define it, and identify it in a sentence.
• Beyond a basic knowledge of the function of these seven parts of speech, students need an understanding of the nuances of each, as described by the standard, and how those nuances impact language.
• With experience, third grade students will develop their ability to use the various parts of speech to form both simple and compound sentences, and be able to use them in more complex and diverse ways.
• What text samples will help students learn to identify regular and irregular plural nouns, as well as abstract nouns?
• What types of writing samples will help students learn to identify regular and irregular verbs?
• In what ways can I demonstrate distinctions between past, present, and future verb tenses?
• In what ways can I demonstrate distinctions between comparative and superlative adjectives and adverbs?
• What text samples will help students learn to identify coordinating versus subordinating conjunctions?
• What types of writing activities will support development of using simple, compound, and complex sentences?
• What additional instructional support can be provided for students who struggle with understanding these conventions of standard English grammar?
Go to L.2.1 to see skills mastered prior to this.