Click here to learn about the process used to unpack the standards and create learning targets.
Unpacking the Standard: W.2.5
Student Friendly Learning Target: W.2.5
Visual Representation of Learning Target: W.2.5
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD what's this
• Second graders continue building on their ability to write narratives by generating a list of ideas, writing a rough draft, and then revising and editing with feedback from adult and peers.
QUESTIONS TO FOCUS INSTRUCTION what's this
• Students need to be able to identify grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors and then correct them.
• Second grade students also need to learn to make changes in word choices and add details as needed to strengthen their writing.
• Students are becoming more comfortable and adept at sharing their own writing work, as well as providing feedback to peers.
• What strategies can be used to provide second graders ample writing practice in a variety of genres?
• What types of activities can be used to support the development of solid editing skills for second graders?
• In what ways can I continue to model providing constructive, respectful feedback for the purpose of improving writing?
• What instructional strategies can be used to give students the opportunity to share and to get feedback from their peers, and then use that feedback effectively for the purpose of revision?
Go to W.1.5 to see skills mastered prior to this.
Go to W.3.5 to see the progression of related skills.