UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD what's this
• Second grade students begin to use more complex sentences as well as more elaborate details.
QUESTIONS TO FOCUS INSTRUCTION what's this
• Students can also use a wider variety of adjectives and verbs to describe an event, and will use these details more frequently.
• Second graders can rely on their earlier understanding of the concepts of “beginning”, “middle”, and “end” to structure their narrative.
• They will also continue to use temporal words, such as next, then, and last to indicate a passage of time.
• Second graders will become more skilled at writing an introduction and a closing when working on a narrative piece.
• What tools can be used to help second graders structure a sequence of events?
• How can literary texts be used to support writing development as it relates to description and elaboration?
• What types of strategies are useful for strengthening students’ skills at writing interesting introductions, smooth transition sentences, and conclusions that adequately summarize?
Go to W.1.3 to see skills mastered prior to this.
Go to W.3.3 to see the progression of related skills.