1. User’s Guide for Independent Reading Assessment Tools
- This guide outlines a variety of informal independent reading assessment tools. The two column journal is one format where students reflect on words from the story and what they mean. (Examining the vocabulary can give clues to why the author included certain key points in the text.)
2. Formative Instruction Online Course
- Tennessee teachers can complete an online course on formative instruction that will help guide the development and implementation of high quality formative assessment across content areas and grade levels. This course offers 9 topics: (1) Introduction to the Formative Assessment Instruction Course, (2) Professional Learning Teams, (3) Overview of Assessment for Learning, (4) An Introduction to the Five Keys of Quality Assessment, (5) Clear Learning Targets, (6) Sound Assessment Design, (7) Communication for Learning, (8) Student Ownership: A Critical Piece, and (9) Actionable Strategies: Putting it All Together.
3. “Early Reading Assessment: A Guiding Tool for Instructing”
– This article provides an overview of the purpose and benefits of early reading assessment, examples of data collection methods, and considerations for selecting a measure for students.
4. Critical elements of literacy assessment
– Elementary School – This site includes sections on DIBELS, diagnostic tests, outcome measures, using assessment to inform instruction, and indicators of effectiveness.