UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD what's this
- collective nouns
- plural nouns
- irregular nouns
- reflexive pronouns
- past tense
- irregular verbs
- simple sentence
- compound sentence
• A command of standard English conventions is integral to reading, writing, speaking, and comprehending
QUESTIONS TO FOCUS INTRUCTION what's this
• A review of the definition of “noun”, “pronoun”, “verb”, “adjective” and “adverb” will be helpful as second grade students move forward to more complex grammar and usage conventions
• Students will need to be able to define and identify a “collective noun"
• Students will need to be able to define and identify a “plural noun” and then distinguish between a “regular plural noun” and an “irregular plural noun”
• Students will need to be able to identify “reflexive pronoun”
• Students will need to able to define and identify an “irregular verb” and then use irregular verbs in the past tense
• A clear understanding of “collective nouns”, “irregular plural nouns”, “reflexive pronouns”, past tense forms of “irregular verbs”, “adjectives” and “adverbs” and a great deal of practice will strengthen the students independent use of these in both writing and spoken language
• An understanding of the meaning of “independent clause” is fundamental to being able to define, identify, and use both simple sentences and complex sentences
• Students will be need to be able to identify and use simple sentences (one independent clause)
• Students will need to be able to identify and use compound sentences (at least two independent clauses)
• What strategies can be used to help second grade students incorporate and correctly use conventions including nouns, verbs, plurals, pronouns, adjectives, and adverbs?
• What strategies can be used to help students understand and form simple and complex sentences?
• How can I provide practice for students in using these standard conventions in their writing?
• How can I provide practice for students in using these standard conventions in their speaking?
• What are the most frequently used irregular plural nouns?
• What irregular verbs are the most frequently used in the past tense?
• What additional instructional support can be provided for students who struggle with understanding the conventions of standard English grammar?
Go to L.1.1 to see skills mastered prior to this.
Go to L.3.1 to see the progression of related skills.