- how-to books
- shared research
- write instructions
UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARDS what's this
• As first graders participate in shared research and writing, they are beginning to build a foundation for the development of more complex and rigorous research and writing projects that will be required throughout their school years and across curriculum areas.
• When working with peers on a shared research project, it is important that students understand their role and responsibilities on the project.
• First graders can use a variety of sources to conduct simple research.
• Participation in shared research supports the ability of the student to successfully complete individual research and writing projects.
QUESTIONS TO FOCUS INSTRUCTION what's this
• What are best practice strategies for teaching first graders how to organize information they obtain from their research?
• What organizational tools, such as task charts, can be used to support students as they work together on a research and writing project?
• What types of resources can be provided to support first grade students in their shared research?
• What prerequisite skills in oral language, writing, and reading must students possess in order to engage in shared research and writing projects?
Go to W.K.7 to see skills mastered prior to this.
Go to W.2.7 to see the progression of related skills.