UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD
• First grade students continue to write with a clear focus, as they become more experienced in their ability to elaborate and to respond to feedback.
QUESTIONS TO FOCUS INSTRUCTION what's this
• Students need to learn how to use details to expand their writing, whether it is a personal story, an opinion, or a topical piece of writing.
• First grade students are building on their ability to revise their writing, by using specific feedback from peers as well as reading and reflecting on their own work.
• Students need experience learning how to make corrections and to review for grammar, spelling, and sentence structure errors.
• What types of activities best support first graders as they learn to improve their writing by adding details and elaboration?
• In what ways can I model providing constructive, respectful feedback for the purpose of improving writing?
• What instructional strategies, such as peer conferencing, can I use to give students the opportunity to share and to get feedback from their peers?
Go to W.K.5 to see skills mastered prior to this.
Go to W.2.5 to see the progression of related skills.