INTEGRATION IDEAS what's this
- concluding statement
- linking words and phrases
- explanatory text
- supportive details
- informative text
- Model the use of graphic organizers to establish key details about a topic. Link various details to show connections and/or a progression. Then model using the graphic organizer as an outline or planning tool for students' own compositions.
- Frequently discuss figures, diagrams, and explanatory illustrations from informative texts. Practice making similar figures during shared writing.
- Frequently point out distinctions between facts and opinions or thoughts in current event texts such as news paper articles.
- Highlight concluding statements or sentences in texts.
QUESTIONS TO FOCUS INSTRUCTION what's this
- How can I get young writers to add details to their writing or illustrations?
- How can I foster summative or conclusive statements in students' writing?
- What supporting tools can I use to help students organize their thoughts and writing?
Go to W.K.2 to see skills mastered prior to this.
Go to W.2.2 to see the progression of related skills.