UNDERSTANDING THE STANDARD what's this
- Story details
QUESTIONS TO FOCUS INSTRUCTION what's this
- Students who can use illustrations in addition to key details to describe characters, settings and/or major events are able to use rudimentary analysis skills to interpret illustrations.
- When students use illustrations along with key details to describe characters, settings and/or major events, they demonstrate they can determine key story details and match those to illustrations.
- By using illustrations as well as key details to describe characters, settings, and major events, students begin to realize that illustrations provide clues about the characters, settings and major events in a story.
- Using illustrations as well as key details to describe characters, settings, and major events, enables students to produce richer and more complete descriptions.
- Students can determine what characters are like by what they say or do and by how the author or illustrator portrays them.
- In order for students to be able to use illustrations and details to describe characters, setting, and major events in a story, students must be able to confidently use the terms illustrations, details, characters, setting, important (major), events, and describe.
- When students use illustrations as well as details to describe characters, settings and events, they strengthen their understanding of the relationship between visual information and written information in helping them understand what they have read,
- When students identify key elements revealed by the author’s words as well as those apparent in illustrations or visual representations, they begin to integrate and analyze literature and the arts.
- What academic vocabulary words must students review or be taught to support this standard?
- How does each illustration give clues about the characters, setting, or events in the story?
- How does the information provided by the illustrations compare to the information provided by the words in the text?
- What details do we know about the characters?
- What details do we know about the setting?
- What details do we know about the text?
Go to RL.K.7 to see skills mastered prior to this.
Go to RL.2.7 to see the progression of related skills.